Different types of Downlights

Modified on Mon, 22 Jan 2024 at 11:22 AM

There are many different types of downlights which are used for different scenarios and installations. The following shows some different types. 

- Mains voltage downlights are fittings that require 230V mains input to work. These fixtures would then have a bulb within them, or a fixed lamp with a built in transformer within the fitting. No external transformer needed.

- Low voltage downlights, such as 12V downlights, have a transformer changing the input power from 230V to 12V. This is useful certain installation location and also they could have a lower energy output.

- Bathroom rated downlights are fittings that are suitable to be in zone 1 or greater as long as they have the correct IP rating. If they have a removable bulb then the bezel would have a lens to protect from any water or steam ingress getting to the bulb.

- Dimmable downlights means that the light light output can be controlled by a dimmer. These would be a fixed lamp downlight.

- Fixed downlights is a term that refers to the bulb, so a fixed downlight has a built in bulb or lamp.

- Lamp/no lamp - a lamp is a term for a bulb so therefore it could be ‘bulb or no bulb

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article